What You Need
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili (optional), finely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder (or paprika)
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala or garam masala (though this does change the flavor of the dish) – omit if unavailable
- ½ teaspoon black salt, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice (or to taste)
- 4 to 6 tortillas (wheat or your favorite gluten-free wrap)
For the crema
- 1 large avocado
- 1/4 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
How The Alchemy Happens
Finely chop the onion, tomato and chili. Dice the cucumber.
Rinse and finely chop some cilantro leaves.
Place the chickpeas in a mixing bowl. Add all the spice powders, Kashmiri red chili or other chili powder, cumin powder, chaat masala or garam masala, black salt (if adding) and Himalayan sea salt.
Mix well so the chickpeas are evenly coated.
Add the chopped onions, tomatoes, green chillies and cilantro leaves.
Add lemon juice to taste. Mix well. Taste and adjust salt. You can also add more chaat masala or garam masala.
Make the avocado coconut crema. Place all ingredients in a bowl of food processor or jar of blender. Blend until smooth.
Spread crema on tortilla.
Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup prepared chickpea mixture in the center. Sprinkle chopped cilantro leaves on top.
Fold over from both sides then roll from top to bottom.
You may use a toothpick or wrap the roll in aluminum foil. Enjoy with additional crema on the side.
~ Nalini Goordial, Kitchen Wizardry